Prior to 1793, all Presbyterians near Kings Mountain worshiped together. About that year, some members withdrew and applied to the Synod of the Carolinas for a preacher. Together they built a mountain cabin for worship near Sparrow Springs. The Reverend William Dickson, a Scots-Irish immigrant, became their pastor.
After worshiping together for two years, this church divided peacefully, one group moving to Gaston County, N.C. and the other forming Bethany ARP Church in York County, SC. Our first services were held in a brush arbor near a spring across from the present cemetery. On June 5, 1797, Bethany was officially organized and the Rev. Dixon was installed as our first pastor.
As Bethany grew over the years, it has worshiped in several locations. The brush arbor was soon replaced by a log church. A frame building served the congregation from 1876 until 1914 when construction began on the present building, and an educational wing was added in 1960.
Bethany has truly been a mother church, giving up members to form 19 other congregations in Arkansas, Mississippi, Texas, and both North and South Carolina.